I was really at a loss for what to do with the “wood” pressboard walls. They weren’t a pretty color of wood and even if they were, the previous owner had partially painted some of the walls. And paint — latex paint — really wasn’t an option as it just scraped right off if you so much as looked at it cross-eyed. So the next logical step was wallpaper. I didn’t have much faith in the new type of peel and stick and thought the extreme temperature fluctuations in the trailer would probably peel it right up. So I went with the old-fashioned, messy dip-in-water-and-stick wallpaper. The paper has been up for the past four months and sat in some serious 100°+ humid Georgia heat. It hasn’t peeled or bubbled one bit.
I covered the pressboard divider walls with Paintables Pressed Tin Effect Wallpaper (which I painted white) from Home Depot. It’s only $20 per roll and I ended up using a little over one roll. The beauty of this stuff is if you damage part of the wall you can just take an exacto knife and cut out the damaged section and replace. Then just paint over and the paint fills in any seams. I’ve actually already patched a section of the wall as it got damaged during the bathroom reno. It patches so nicely I can’t even tell where I did anything.
Below is the new kitchen wall which has all been wallpapered and painted with one light coat of Valspar Signature Satin in Snowbank.
For the job, I used a super sharp rotary tool and an exacto knife. I first measured the height of the wall I was doing and then cut the paper with a few inches to spare. I placed the paper on the wall and creased with my fingers where there were any curves or cabinets. I cut this off with a pair of scissors, leaving an inch or so to spare. I then wet the paper and placed it on the wall. Since the pressboard is so slick it made for a lot of leeway in making last minute adjustments to get the paper in the right place. Once I was happy with the alignment of the paper I soaked a rag in water and smoothed all of the air bubbles out of the paper. Then, I ran along the edges with the rotary tool to cut off the excess. Lastly, the exacto knife was the perfect tool to tuck the edges in behind the cabinet and seam.
Latest posts by Sheena (see all)
- Caring for Plants in Travel Trailers - June 15, 2017
- Staying fit on the road with my Pono Ola Balance Board - June 14, 2017
- Airstream Office Space Remodel | Rear Desk - June 7, 2017